TO Who’s Powerless Pt. 4 (Conclusion)

 

Scene: R and R’s apt.

Recap from previous chapter:

Ross: Uh...I’ll be right back. (gently lets go of her hands and turns toward his room.)

 

Rachel: Wait, what? Wait a minute...

 

Ross: (turns back to look at her. Sincerely says) Trust me.

 

Ross walks into his room and closes the door. Rachel stands there, with a flood of thoughts and emotions running through her body. She’s afraid she’s said too much at the wrong time. She’s upset because maybe the words didn’t come out right. She’s hurt because she’s left there abruptly, standing hopeful, but utterly clueless. She wonders if Ross is attempting to run away by using the fire escape. She wonders if before he leaves he’s writing her a “Dear John” letter because he can’t bear to watch her face fall if he were to reject her in person...Rachel doesn’t know what to do...

 

Scene: R and R’s apt.

Finally, after what feels like hours to Rachel, but which have only been 3 minutes, Ross returns from his room. His smile reassures her fears. He slowly walks back towards Rachel, with his left hand behind his back. When he finally approaches her, he gently takes Rachel’s left hand with his right, raises it to his lips and tenderly kisses her hand.

 

Ross: Something was missing...

 

Rachel: (breath taken and bewildered) What was it?

 

Ross: This...(he takes his left hand from behind his back to reveal the diamond ring. Rachel stares, open mouthed.)

 

Rachel: (very, very shocked. She begins to cry.) Ross...Oh my....Oh my, God...I had no idea you...this is the most beautiful ring I’ve ever seen...

 

Ross: I hoped you’d say that. (motions to put the ring on her finger) May I?

 

Rachel is completely overwhelmed. She slowly nods her head and smiles dreamily. Tears stream down her face. Ross gently glides the ring onto the finger of her trembling hand. They both look up and smile lovingly at each other. Ross softly wipes the tears away from her face.

 

Ross: (holding her hands and looking profoundly into her eyes) Everything you just said...is everything I wanted to say to you last night. All of those years were wasted being afraid...We could have spent those years together, instead of arguing why we weren’t....Rachel, I don’t want to waste anymore time wondering when it’ll happen, I just want it to happen now. I’ve loved you from the first moment I laid eyes on you...and now, especially with all that’s happened lately...with Emma and all...I feel like I love you more than I ever have. Or maybe I’ve loved you this much all along, but I my insecurities wouldn’t let me see it...but now, now I do. I love you. And you’re right. Fate is standing right in front of us.

 

Rachel: Something we finally agree on...(smiles happily through tears) This is so unbelievably amazing, Ross. (ashamed) Oh would you look at me, I’m crying an ocean...(expression turns into contentment) but it’s for a totally different reason now...

 

Ross: (adoringly, almost whispering) I’m, I’m not going to stop being sorry for all the hurt we’ve been through Rach, but I promise, I’m going to spend the rest of my life making it up to you.

 

Rachel: (heavy tears of joy) Ross...honestly...you’re worth every tear.

 

And with Rachel’s last words, their faces slowly lean into each other until their lips tenderly meet. They share a kiss so timeless, so perfect...it can only exist in the imagination of a pure romantic. Eva Cassidy’s rendition of Time After Time is quietly playing in the background.

 

Lying in my bed I hear the clock tick and think of you

Turning in circles, confusion is nothing new

Flashback to warm nights almost left behind

Suitcase of memories time after...

 

Sometimes you’ll picture me, I’m walking too far ahead

You’re calling to me, I can’t hear what you’ve said

You say go slow, I fall behind

The second hand unwinds

 

If your lost you can look and you will find me

Time after time

If you fall I will catch you I’ll be waiting

Time after time...

 

Scene fades...

 

Scene cut: Monica and Chandler’s later that evening. Joey, Phoebe, Chandler, Monica and Emma are there. Monica’s cooking in the kitchen, Phoebe’s by the window watching Emma, and Joey and Chandler are talking on the couch.

 

Joey: (referring to Mary) She was great, man. Not only was she hot, (*Okay, pretend I look like, umm...anybody you consider hot because Joey needs to think I’m hot for my story line and I’m just a dorky 21 yr. old. LoL!*) she’s got a killer personality! Seriously. It felt like it wasn’t even an interview or anything. It was more like a casual date, just without the sex.

 

Chandler: (sarcastically) Oh, of COURSE.

 

Joey: Yeah, and she made me feel so comfortable, like I knew her before from somewhere...I’m really looking forward to seeing her again...

 

Chandler: Glad to hear that my man, glad to hear that! (smiles triumphantly) She’s coming to dinner tonight!

 

Joey: (surprised and scared) What?! (nervous) She’s, she’s coming here, TONIGHT?

Why didn’t you tell me sooner??

 

Chandler: Woah, dude, calm down. You just spent the entire afternoon with her and just now you couldn’t talk about anything else but her. Why the change of heart?

 

Joey: Cuz’ I thought it was just gonna be us and nobody special! I gotta go shower and change! (Joey gets up.)

 

Chandler: (looks at him skeptically) Shower and change??

 

Joey: (shamefully whispers) I’m gonna go put on some underwear.

 

Chandler: Yeah, thought so. (Joey runs out of the apartment. Chandler to himself proudly) Wow, good job Chandler-my-boy...wait, NOBODY SPECIAL? He’s lucky Monica killed the last of my ego, or I might’ve been really hurt!

 

Phoebe: (Phoebe finishes feeding Emma with a bottle of milk. She puts her down into her bassinet to sleep. She looks over to Ross and Rachel’s apartment and sees them hugging. She smiles. “Good Job, Phoebe,” She thinks to herself. To Chandler) If you think you’re good, you need to come see what I did. (she motions for Chandler and Monica to come to the window.)

 

All three: (looking at Ross and Rachel) Aaww...(they share a moment of silence and look at each other, and then they laugh.)

 

Chandler: Finally! (sarcastically) They give the phrase “long over due” a whole new meaning!

 

Monica and Phoebe: (still laughing) I know!

 

Monica: (walking back to the kitchen) Hey guys, can u taste the broccoli sauce, I don’t want to get it wrong and I’m a little insecure after the whole “bad review” saga a couple weeks ago.

 

Chandler: Sure, hon. (Walks over to Monica. Tasting it from the spoon.) It’s good.

 

Monica: (looking at him skeptically. Upset.) Oh what do you know!! Damnit, I suck at this! I don’t know WHY I’m a chef...(Chandler looks like he’s been slapped in the face. Just then, there’s a knock at the door. It’s Mary and her brother, Jon. Monica goes to answer it.)

 

Monica: (letting Mary and Jon in. *Let’s pretend Jon looks like Josh Hartnett or something*) Hey Mary! Glad you guys could make it!

 

Mary: Thanks for inviting us! By the way, this is my brother, Jon.

 

Jon: (Jon grins sheepishly. Shakes Monica’s hand.) Hi, nice to meet you.

 

Monica: (shyly and dreamily) The pleasure is mine...

 

Phoebe: (whispering to Chandler, referring to Jon) Oh, hellooo nurse. (Chandler looks at her weirdly.)

 

Monica: Joey, Rachel and Ross will be coming soon. Why don’t you guys have a seat and chat with Chandler and Phoebe?

 

Mary: Sure thing. (hands a bottle of champagne over to Monica) This is for you. Hey! Something smells good!

 

Chandler: (to Mary) Be careful, I just complimented her and she bit my head off.

 

Monica: (glares at Chandler with the “ha-ha” look. Turns back to Mary) Thank you. (Mary and Jon go sit on the couch. Chandler and Phoebe come over to the living room to talk. Chandler sits in the “chair” and Phoebe sits next to Jon. Monica continues cooking.)

 

Phoebe: (to Jon very flirty) Hello you.

 

Jon: (shy and a little taken aback by her aggression) Umm...hi.

 

Chandler: (whispering to Mary) THAT is a computer-geek??

 

Mary: What? He is. (laughing incredulously.)

 

Chandler: (still whispering) Where are the wire-rimmed glasses and the dorky hair-cut and the...the LACK of muscles? I see no geek! You owe me a geek!

 

Mary: Not every computer-geek looks like you. (Chandler gives Mary a sarcastic laugh.) Chandler, relax! Even if she wanted to, Monica wouldn’t have a chance while Phoebe’s all over him. (They look over and you see Phoebe staring dreamily at him. Jon is looking down with his hands in his lap.) And besides, he’s very shy. (Jon looks up to see Phoebe staring at him. He looks scared. Just then, Joey comes back in, looking very confident.)

 

Mary: (whispering to Jon, in a very girlish way) Oh, there he is! (Jon just looks at her like, “what’s the big deal”, then turns away quickly to hide the excitement on his face. He’s secretly a huge fan of Joey’s.)

 

Joey: (all excited like he hasn’t seen them in awhile) Hey guys!

 

Chandler: Hi Joey! (sarcastically) No, I didn’t just see you fifteen minutes ago!

 

Joey: (comes over to the living room and sits next to Mary.) Hi, Mary. (smiles innocently) I didn’t know you were joining us for dinner.

 

Mary: (smiling back) Yeah, I ran into Chandler in your hallway. He and Monica invited me. This is my brother, Jon.

 

Joey: (to Jon) Nice to meet you.

 

Jon: (star-struck) Hi-hi Mr. Tribbiani...I mean Joey, I mean...(doesn’t know what to say) Dude, you’re so cool. (Mary and Chandler exchange glances like, “uh-oh”)

 

Joey: (bashfully) I try. (Phoebe gets jealous because Jon’s attention is taken away from her. She tries to interrupt.)

 

Phoebe: Hey Mary...you and Joey should go check out the view on the balcony! (Mary and Joey don’t hear her. They’re kind of just staring at each other sweetly.)

 

Joey: (Shyly) Hi.

 

Mary: (just as shy) Hi.

 

Joey: (Shyly again) Hi.

 

Mary: (almost laughing) Hi.

 

Chandler: (whispers to Joey) What a way to sweet talk, Joe. (Just then, Rachel and Ross come in.)

 

Rachel: (jumps into the apartment and announces elatedly) WE’RE ENGAGED!

 

Monica, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey: (as though it’s not a big deal) Yeah, we know. (Rachel looks disappointed.)

 

Mary: (tries to break the ice) Umm, Jon and I didn’t know that! Congrats!

 

Rachel: (beaming) Thanks! (pauses, confused) Wait, who are you?

 

Mary: I’m Chandler’s friend, Mary, and this is my brother, Jon.

 

Rachel: (understands) Oh. (smiles. Extends her hand) I’m Rachel. (then happily says to everyone) I’m engaged and I have a new baby...(thinks) things just keep getting better!

 

Chandler: Wait Joe, you weren’t here when we saw them through the window, how’d you know they were engaged?

 

Joey: Duh! How obvious do they need to be? (Monica then notices the glare from Rachel’s HUGE engagement ring. She quickly runs over to her and grabs her hand to look at the ring.)

 

Monica: (very jealous and very whiny) Chandler?!!

 

Chandler: (incredulous and mocking to Rachel) Yeah, things just keep getting better.

 

Time Lapse

 

Scene: C and M’s apt. Everyone is now present. They’ve just finished dinner. Everyone looks very full.

 

Mary: Monica, seriously, this duck confit with the broccoli rabe was absolutely delicious. (*this dish is from TOW Phoebe’s Cookies*)

 

Jon: I agree.

 

Monica: (soaking up the compliments) Oh go on...(serious tone) Really?

 

Mary: Oh yeah...I’m not kidding. It’s just as good as the one my favorite restaurant serves.

 

Monica: Oh? (curious) And where’s that?

 

Mary: There’s this great place in Manhattan called Allesandro’s. I go there all the time and I always order this exact dish. It’s divine.

 

Monica: (excited and in disbelief) Allesandro’s is my restaurant!!

 

Mary: Are you serious?? Wow! My compliments to the chef. (Mary looks at Chandler and winks. He acknowledges the compliment gratefully knowing that they set it up to boost Monica’s confidence in her cooking. Everyone clears they’re plates into the sink, and move over into the living room except for Chandler. It’s his turn to do the dishes. Emma begins to gurgle.)

 

Rachel: Hmm...somebody’s awake. (her and Ross exchange loving glances.)

 

Monica: Ooh! I’ll go check up on her! (she runs over to Emma and the gang laughs. Monica picks up Emma and starts cradling her by the window. Ross sits in the “chair” with Rachel on his lap, Joey and Mary sit next to each other on the couch, and Jon sits on the other end of the couch with Phoebe next to him on the floor.

 

Joey: (flirtingly) Hey Mary, did I ever tell you about the time I went backpacking through Europe? (Ross and Rachel try not to laugh while Jon just listens. Phoebe doesn’t pay attention to the conversation because she’s figuring out a way to seduce Jon.)

 

Mary: (looking him over skeptically, and then smiling) Umm...actually yeah you did Joey. Remember, you were telling me your best pick up lines earlier this afternoon.

 

Joey: (trying to remember. Then becomes incredibly embarrassed but tries to hide it.) I, I know...I was just trying to see if YOU remembered. (Mary just smiles back, humoring him.)

 

Rachel: Yeah, it is one hell of a line, Joey. I tell ya, that line should come with a surgeon general warning. (Rachel, Joey, Ross and Mary laugh.)

 

Phoebe: (gets an idea, ignorant of what they had just talked about) Hey Jon, did I ever tell you about the time I went backpacking through Europe?

 

 Jon just looks at her weirdly. Mary, Joey, Ross and Rachel look at each other, then laugh louder. Chandler finally finishes the dishes He goes over to where Monica is and sits on the window seat, watching her and Emma. He smiles.

 

Chandler: I love you, Monica. (Monica doesn’t hear him.) Umm...Monica? (Chandler gets up and stands right in front of her. Monica is focusing all of her attention on Emma. He stares at her incredulously, knowing that he’s being ignored.) Monica, I’ve just cut off my right leg and now I’m beating Ross over the head with it!!

 

Monica: (dazed) That’s nice dear. (Chandler stands there open-mouthed.)

 

Phoebe: (overhearing them) No, no, Chandler, you’re approaching her wrong. Watch this....HEY MONICA JON FORGOT TO USE A COASTER AND NOW THERE’S WATER CIRCLES ON YOUR COFFEE TABLE!!

 

Monica: What?! (She puts Emma back into her basinet and runs over to look at the table. She sees nothing there. She looks at Phoebe suspiciously.)

 

Chandler: Oh My God! You won’t look up to say you love me, but you’ll trip all over yourself for wet ringlets on your furniture?!

 

Monica: (trying to calm him down) Chandler, sweetie...what is the big deal?

 

Chandler: (still upset) The big deal is that...you’re baby crazy! Sooo baby crazy, that you don’t even care I’m here!!! And, and...you should be crazy about me! If this is how it’s going to be, well, I don’t want to have a baby anymore!

 

Monica: Chandler, honey...I’m-I’m sorry but, but I might ALREADY be pregnant...

 

Chandler: Well, well...(thinks) well...I take it back! Give me back my sperm! (the gang looks at him weirdly) Okay fine! Keep it! But if you don’t mind, I am going to go freak out in the hall! (he walks out and slams the door. Monica goes after him.)

 

Mary and Jon: (looking at each other) Woah...

 

Phoebe: Yeah, well if you think THEY’RE bad...you should see these two. (points to Ross and Rachel. They laugh sarcastically at Phoebe.)

 

Scene cuts: in the hallway between C & M’s apt. and Joey’s apt.

 

Monica: Chandler! Wait! Don’t be mad...please!

 

Chandler: How can I not be mad? I find out the only reason you married me is so that you can have babies! Babies, babies, and more babies!

 

Monica: What?! Are you crazy?

 

Chandler: You’re asking ME that??

 

Monica: Honey, I married you because I love you.

 

Chandler: Yeah, well, lately I don’t feel like you do.

 

Monica: I’m sorry if I’ve been a little off with us lately...but, I’m just really excited about Emma! You know, aren’t you excited too?

 

Chandler: Sure I am, but-but it’s like, you’ve been ignoring me....or-or when we do talk, it’s only about baby stuff! I feel like you’re sick of me already or something. And, well, I didn’t think we’d be like this until we were both 50 and married for almost 20 years...

 

Monica: (looking at him weird) 50?

 

Chandler: Okay, 45.

 

Monica: (agreeing) Yeah! (beat, change of tone. Softly and comfortingly) But, seriously...I’m sorry. I’ll try to contain myself...it’s just that...I’ve been dreaming about motherhood for a LONG time, you know? And, now that we’re married...every time I see Emma, I get so excited knowing that you and I are going to be parents soon...

 

Chandler: Yeah, I guess I can understand that...

 

Monica: I love you so much Chandler...nothing, or no ONE will ever be able to change that.

 

Chandler: (softening up completely) I love you too, Mon. (They hug for awhile and go back inside the apartment.)

 

Scene cut: C and M’s apt. again.

 

Rachel: Hey Chandler, I just realized something...you haven’t held Emma yet. (she walks over to him with Emma.)

 

Chandler: Well, no I don’t think I should...don’t I need to go to school for this first or something?

 

Rachel: No, Chandler...really, here...it’s okay...just put your arms out. (she gently places Emma in his arms.)

 

Chandler: (looking at Emma awkwardly and is feeling very tense. Once he is holding her, his face changes to a look of surprise and then he, like Monica, becomes mesmerized. Dreamily he says) she’s so tiny...wow...and-and she smells so good... (he looks at Monica) can’t we just have this one?

 

Monica: (laughing) Honey, soon we’ll have one of our own...

 

Joey: (trying to sound macho in front of Mary) Oh come on Chandler! Be a man! It’s just a baby!

 

Chandler: Wait...you haven’t held her yet either...come here...

 

Joey: (overly confident) Pssh...what’s the big deal? A baby’s, a baby...(Chandler gives Emma to Joey. And now he, like Chandler, falls into the same trance. Breathlessly in a babyish voice) wow...hey little Emma...I’m your Uncle Joey...(looks up to the gang who is smiling at him) she smells like, like warm milk... and baby powder....and fabric softener...man...she’s so cute...

 

Chandler: See? I told you. (holds his arms open) Okay, Joe. Lemme have her.

 

Joey: No.

 

Chandler: Joey! I wasn’t done holding her yet! I just wanted you to see what I saw!

 

Joey: You let her go. Now you’re just going to have to wait your turn again...

 

Chandler: (getting upset) Wait my turn?! Was I supposed to call “dibs” or something?! (tries a different approach) Well, what about all that macho stuff? “Mr. I-like-to-wear-women’s-undies!” (*referring to the TOW Chandler’s Dad*)

 

Joey: (looks at Mary, tries to convince her) I really don’t wear women’s underwear. (then looks back at Chandler, warningly) What about you, bubble bath boy? (*referring to TOW Chandler Takes a Bath*)

 

Chandler: (offended) What was that Joey?! I wasn’t paying attention because your panties were showing!

 

Joey: Oh, you want to play dirty huh? So Chandler, did I ever tell you that your Mom looks EXACTLY like Kathleen Turner? Op, no, no, no, no...THAT WAS YOUR DAD!! (Chandler looks REALLY offended now and just stares at Joey open mouthed.)

 

Ross: Guys, guys?! (in a “scolding Ross way”) Umm...seriously quit it. Emma is a human being, NOT the latest edition of Playboy...(the guys keep bickering and ignore Ross.)

 

Monica: (trying to be the mediator) Guys don’t fight. (comfortingly) It takes REALLY secure men to wear women’s underwear AND like bubble baths. (Sweetly) Now Joey, give Emma back to me.

 

Rachel: (getting angry) Wait! She’s my baby! (to Monica) Go make your own! (Monica looks incredibly butt-hurt)

 

Soon, they all start yelling and Emma begins to cry. Mary, Jon and Phoebe just sit back and watch, amused.

 

Mary: (laughing) Phoebe, you have some crazy friends.

 

Phoebe: (thinking, and agreeing) Yeah...yeah I do...(smiles)

 

THE END! WOOHOO!! WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??? LET ME KNOW!