Episode 105 - TOW Phoebe's Goodbye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters from the TV show FRIENDS.

Phoebe: Come on Leslie! Walk over to me! That's it!

Phoebe was sitting in her apartment while the two-year-old quintuplets ran around. They were getting ready to be picked up by Frank and Alice.

Phoebe: No Chandler! Don't get into that! No! Joey! Stop! Put that crayon down! Chelsea! Don't eat the potpourri! Frank Jr. Jr.! No! You're not supposed to throw that! Stop!

Phoebe picked up Leslie and put her on the couch while she ran around to tend to the other four. It had been a long weekend and she needed a break. Her nieces and nephews wouldn't be back until the next weekend and it would be a peaceful week of rest.

The door opened and Frank and Alice ran in.

Frank: Hi kids!

Kids: Daddy! Mommy!

The kids all ran to him and Alice. Phoebe watched on with a smile on her face.

Alice: Phoebe, we need to talk to you for a minute.

Phoebe: About what?

Alice: Well, you know how we share custody of the kids? Well, we need full custody. We're moving to California and we need full custody of the children in order to do that. Frank got a new job and I'm getting a new teaching job over there.

Phoebe: What?!

Frank: Yeah. It's . . .hard, but it's what we have to do, Phoebe.

Phoebe: You're taking these kids away from me?!

Frank: Yeah . . . I'm really sorry, Phoebe. But we need you to give up your rights. You can come visit any time you want . . . and if we save up enough . . . we'll come visit you!

Phoebe: Oh my God! I can't believe this!

Frank: It really is for the best.

Alice: Yes. The kids will have a better future . . .

Phoebe: I'll . . . do whatever is best for the children.

*~*

Monica was carrying 4-month-old Katie around the apartment, dressing her and feeding her at the same time. Chandler was sitting on the couch, searching the cushions for a pacifier that had been lost. Joey was sitting on the floor of the apartment in front of two baby swings where the one-month-old babies Lucy and Lucia were rocking and sleeping.

Monica: Okay. The movie starts at four, so we've got an hour to get to the other side of town. We had better hurry if we're going to get good seats. I want Katie to enjoy her first movie.

Chandler: I'm sure she's going to be sleeping through the whole thing.

Monica: Oh, I think she'll love it!

Chandler: I don't think the baby's gonna care. She's tired as it is.

Monica: Let's just take her anyway!

Joey: Okay. We're going home.

Joey picked his twin daughters up out of the swings and went across the hall to his own apartment.

*~*

Rachel was sitting in the doctor's office while the doctor performed the sonogram for her fourth month of pregnancy. Ross was sitting beside her, holding 1 1/2 month old Ben.

Doctor: Oh, okay, your baby has a good, strong heartbeat. He's in excellent health.

Ross: What? Wait a minute . . . he?

Rachel: You told us last time that we were having a girl!

Doctor: We must have read the sonogram wrong. I'm sorry. You're having a boy.

Rachel: Oh wow . . .

Ross: Okay . . .

Rachel looked at Ross. She smiled sheepishly.

Rachel: Is it still okay?

Ross: It's great.

Rachel smiled at him and they finished the rest of the exam.

*~*

Monica and Chandler were seated at the movie theater with little Katie between them in her carrier, sleeping away. The movie was beginning and the lights were going out. Monica looked at Chandler and they smiled at each other for a few moments. But, soon, music started to play and the baby woke with a start. She began bawling at the top of her lungs.

Monica: Oh no!

Man: Shh!

Woman: Get that baby out of here!

Monica: I'm sorry! I'm just . . .

Chandler: Monica! I knew this was a bad idea!

Woman: Shh! Be quiet!

Monica: Hey! Don't talk to my husband like that, lady!

Man: Be quiet or I'm getting the manager!

Monica: Fine! I'll get her quiet!

Monica put a pacifier in the baby's mouth and she took it.

Monica: You happy now? Well you should be, buddy.

*~*

Joey was now sitting in his apartment while the twins slept in the playpen. Joey was sitting in his chair watching TV. Phoebe came through the door and she was upset. Joey looked at her and turned the TV off. He walked to her side.

Joey: Pheebs?

Phoebe: Joey . . . I . . .

Joey: What's wrong? What happened? Did someone hurt you?

Phoebe shook her head and looked into Joey's eyes.

Phoebe: I . . . I just need you to hold me. I need someone to hold me.

Joey: Well, then you came to the right place, cause I'm good at holding.

Joey pulled Phoebe into his arms and held her close.

Joey: Do you want to talk about it?

Phoebe: Fr . . . Frank and Alice . . . are moving to California. They needed me to give them full custody of the kids to do that . . . so I signed my rights over and they're moving to California tomorrow!

Joey: Oh, Pheebs, I'm so sorry.

Phoebe: I know. It hurts so much. Those kids have been a part of me since before they were born and I don't want to lose them. But . . . it is for their own good because Frank's got a new job and Alice is getting one too. They're going to making pretty good money between the two of them.

Joey: Yeah, but you've had temporary custody of them for a long time. But they're just up and taking them to California? What about you? Why didn't they think about your feelings.

Phoebe: Joey . . . they're taking the kids away from me. It's the only thing that matters. Just . . . just tell me everything is gonna be okay.

Joey: It will be. One day, you'll have a baby of your own and it'll fill your life with a lot of love. My girls do that for me. It will happen for you one day, Pheebs.

Phoebe: Yeah, right! Who's gonna want to have me for the rest of their lives or long enough to have a family? Joey, I've never had a relationship last very long. How am I going to have kids?

Joey: You just have to be able to have a man who loves children, who's single, and who loves you very much.

Phoebe smiled softly and looked into Joey's eyes.

Joey: A man who can make you laugh, make you smile, and make you feel smart.

Phoebe: Wow . . . Where do you think I could find one of those guys?

Joey: They're always around. You just have to look in the most obvious place.

Phoebe: Like . . . right in front of me?

Joey: Yeah . . .

His eyes went wide when he realized what Phoebe was saying.

Joey: I guess so . . .

Phoebe: Joey, you're the sweetest man I've ever met and any woman is gonna be lucky to have you. Thanks for making me feel better.

Joey: Anytime.

Phoebe hugged Joey again and pulled away. In a moment, their lips met in a soft kiss that could melt the hearts of the cruelest men.

*~*

Ross and Rachel walked into their apartment with Ben in his stroller. Rachel looked at Ross.

Rachel: So we're having a boy now. Shocked?

Ross: A little.

Rachel: Well, I can't believe they read the sonogram wrong last time! I'm still happy. I know we'll have more kids in the future.

Ross: Yeah. But . . . Rachel, do you think that we should get married?

Rachel: When? I mean, we've never talked about it and you've never proposed. I always figured that we'd get married one day. I just didn't think we needed to rush anything because we're doing great right now. We're taking great care of Ben together and we're making sure that this little boy inside is okay.

Ross: I know this is spur of the moment and I don't have a ring . . . but . . .

Rachel: Oh my God . . .

Ross got down on one knee and smiled up at the love of his life.

Ross: Rachel Karen Green, I love you, you are the mother of my baby, and I've been in love with you since I was fifteen. Will you please make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?

Rachel: Oh, Ross . . .

Ross: What do you say?

Rachel nodded, tears in her eyes.

Rachel: Of course I'll marry you!

Ross stood up and Rachel hugged him tightly. She kissed his lips lovingly and looked him in the eyes.

Rachel: I love you, Ross.

Ross: I love you too.

*~*

Phoebe woke up in Joey's bed and got up. She pulled her clothes on and walked out into the living room where the babies were sleeping in their bassinets. Phoebe smiled down at them and looked around. This was Joey's apartment, these were Joey's children, and she had just slept with Joey.

Joey walked out of the bedroom in his boxer shorts and he looked at Phoebe with a big grin on his face.

Joey: Hey.

Phoebe: Hey.

Joey closed the space between them and kissed Phoebe softly. She kissed him back and then pulled away.

Joey: You okay?

Phoebe: I'm okay. But, there's something I have to do. I'll be back later.

*~*

Towards the end of the movie, Katie started crying again.

Monica: I'm beginning to think this wasn't such a good idea!

Chandler: Really?!

Man: Shh!

Woman: Be quiet for the LAST TIME!

Katie began crying louder and the other people in the theater all turned to look at Monica and Chandler, glares in their eyes. Monica and Chandler looked at each other.

Monica: Wanna go?

Chandler: Let's.

*~*

Phoebe walked into Frank and Alice's home, where they were packing up their belongings in order to move to California.

Alice: Phoebe . . . what are you doing here?

Phoebe: I just want to say goodbye to the kids.

Phoebe walked into the playroom, where all five children were gathered around the television. Little Leslie turned to look at Phoebe.

Leslie: Aunt Phoebe!

Phoebe: Come here kids.

The children all came close to Phoebe.

Phoebe: Okay. This is hard. You guys are so cute . . . Okay. Look, you're moving away to the other side of the country. I'm not gonna be there . . . but I want you to know that even though I'm not there, I'll be thinking about you. Maybe I'll come visit soon.

Frank Jr. Jr.: Come with us!

Phoebe: I wish I could but I have to say goodbye.

Kids: Bye bye . . .

Phoebe: But don't you guys worry. We're still gonna see each other . . . just not as often. You understand?

The kids nodded in bemusement. Phoebe smiled and walked out of the house, leaving the children behind with Frank and Alice.

*~*

Monica and Chandler were sitting on the couch in the coffeehouse when Ross and Rachel walked in with little Ben. Joey was sitting on the chair with both of his daughters beside him in the twin stroller.

Rachel: Hey guys!

Joey: Hey.

Monica: How was the doctor?

Rachel: Very eventful.

Chandler: What do you mean?

Ross: Evidently, the doctor read the sonogram wrong the first time. We're having a boy now.

Joey: Really? Nice going!

Ross: Thanks . . . I think.

Rachel: But we're still really happy about it and we can't wait till he's born!

Monica: It's so sweet that you're giving Ben a little brother!

Ross: Yeah, but they're probably gonna be in the same classes at school. Ben's only gonna be about nine months older than this baby. So, it's gonna be kind of weird. We're still going to have a baby in diapers when this one is born. That's gonna take a lot of money. But I think we can do it.

Rachel: I'm just looking forward to he and Ben meeting for the first time.

Monica: I'm so happy for you guys! As soon as Katie's a year old, I want another baby.

Chandler: You do?

Monica: Yeah . . . I do.

Chandler smiled at Monica and she smiled back. Phoebe walked into the coffeehouse looking pretty sad.

Joey: Hey Pheebs.

Phoebe: Hi . . . I had to tell the quintuplets goodbye today.

Ross: Oh no! Why?

Phoebe: Frank and Alice are moving to California.

Rachel: Oh honey, I'm sorry . . .

Phoebe: It's for the best. So, I'm going to be okay. I'm just worried about the kids. That's all . . .

Rachel: Sometimes things work out for the best even when they start out really sad.

Phoebe: Please don't try to brighten my aura. I'm happy being murky for now.

She left the coffeehouse and Joey handed his daughters to Chandler and headed off after Phoebe to comfort her.

Rachel sat down next to Monica and looked at little Ben in his stroller, she looked over at Monica who was holding Katie, and then she looked at Chandler holding Joey's daughters.

Rachel: God . . . look at us . . . we're all parents here right now. We're going to have one more in five months . . . It's so great that our families are expanding like this.

Ross: Do you want to tell them the good news or do you want me to?

Rachel: I will!

Monica: What good news?

Rachel: Ross and I are getting married!

Chandler/Monica: What?!

Ross: I proposed on the spur of the moment. So I haven't got her a ring yet, but she said yes!

Rachel: Yes!

Monica: Wow! That's so great!

Chandler: When's the big day?

Rachel: Sometime before the baby's born. So, sometime in the next five months.

Ross: Yeah. Maybe July or August. It has to be before September.

Monica: Well, congratulations!

Chandler: Congratulations!

Monica: Oh shoot! I have to take Katie upstairs and give her another bottle. I'll see you guys later.

Chandler: I'll go with you. Hey Rachel? Will you and Ross watch Joey's kids?

Rachel: Sure.

Ross: Sure man.

Chandler handed Lucy and Lucia to Rachel and he followed Monica and Katie.

Rachel: Can you imaging what our life is going to be like ten years from now? Maybe we'll have a few more children . . .

Ross: How many do you want?

Rachel: I don't care. I love kids.

Ross: Me too.

Rachel smiled and kissed her husband. Life was just beginning for this couple and soon, their family was going to be a little big bigger.