TO Who’s Powerless 1

 

Okay, this is the very first fanfic I’ve ever written. After reading the spoiler for the season finale, I got to thinking about possibilities for the cliffhanger. Basically, this is how I’d like the whole R/R/J thing to be resolved. It also incorporates MUCH of the other “friends”. If you like it, GREAT! If you don’t, GREAT TOO! Just email me some suggestions at xSerenelyx@aol.com.

 

WARNING: This fic contains specific scenes mentioned in the season 8 finale spoiler. So, if you guys don’t want to know what happens in the finale, you probably shouldn’t read my fic.

 

Oh yah, I don’t own ANY of these characters (except for the doctor, nurse, myself and Jon), nor do I want to make a profit from this fanfic. This is strictly for entertainment purposes.

 

Setting: Everyone’s at the hospital. Rachel has already given birth.

 

Scene: Rachel’s hospital room. The nurses have relocated her to a single-patient room including a private restroom and television. A very tired Rachel is sitting upright trying to maintain strength to carry on a conversation with Monica, Chandler and Joey.

 

Rachel: (looking at Chandler) So let me get this straight, you and Monica just had sex in the MORGUE because you suddenly realized you were ready to have a baby?

 

Chandler: (surprised at Rachel’s reaction) What?! We did NOTHING wrong! You swear the people in there are going to gossip amongst themselves and tell everyone in the hospital!

 

Joey: (warningly) Yeah, but some of them can tell God.

 

Monica: (trying to defend their actions) No, No! Don’t you see?! We’re in the process of creating new life! It’s all for the greater good of mankind!

 

Rachel: (looking at Monica in disbelief) I canNOT believe you are the aunt of my baby.

 

Cuts to Scene: Phoebe and Ross are standing in the hall of the hospital looking through the window of the nursery at Rachel and Ross’s sleeping newborn. Emma, along with many other newborns, is right by the window. Phoebe and Ross are both very quiet. Ross is in awe, staring at his new daughter. Phoebe is happy, relieved and especially tired after the night’s events, and is smiling at Emma too.

 

Phoebe: She’s so beautiful.

 

Ross: (still watching Emma lovingly) I know...she’s all Rachel.

 

Phoebe looks up to see Ross’s expression and something suddenly clicks in her head.

 

Phoebe: Hey, Ross?

 

Ross: (still staring at Emma) Yeah, Pheebes?

 

Phoebe: I know this is going to sound really random, but-

 

Ross: (interrupts her, looks at her and raises his eyebrows in a “Ross” way, then sarcastically says) You? Random? Never!

 

Phoebe: (stares at him like she doesn’t understand what he’s insinuating) Well, anyway...(pauses, trying to remember what it was she was going to say) Damnit, where was I?

 

Ross: You were-

 

Phoebe: (all excited) Oh, Oh now I remember! (composing herself to a more serious tone) Okay, so tell me again why you two aren’t together?

 

Ross: (looking at Phoebe confused. Now he doesn’t understand what she’s insinuating) Come again?

 

Phoebe: (emphasizes every word making sure Ross hears) Why-aren’t–you-and-Rachel-together?

 

Ross now understands and slowly turns back to look at Emma. You can tell thoughts of Rachel had been previously dwelling in his head.

 

Ross: Phoebe I, I don’t know what to make of anything right now. All of this has just been so overwhelming...(sighs) I just...I don’t know how to explain my feelings.

 

Phoebe: Ross, you don’t have to talk about it if it’s too much for you to handle. I was just curious, you know? (pauses to gather thoughts) After everything you guys have been through, you two have managed to stay best friends. She’s even living with you now. You guys have a child together. I mean seriously, everything you’ve ever wanted since you were 16 is staring right at you.

 

Ross: (looks at Phoebe, thinks intensely)  But that’s just it, Phoebe. We DO have a baby now. It’s not just my feelings, or Rachel’s feelings that are at stake anymore... or even the worry of getting you guys involved in the crossfire. I don’t want to hurt Emma. I’m her father. I’m supposed to protect her. I don’t ever want to be the reason why she cries...(he slowly starts to tear)

 

Phoebe: Okay, I understand what you’re saying, but look at it this way. You think Emma is more of a reason to be cautious, right? But what if she’s actually supposed to be pulling you guys closer? I mean you and Rachel have been a constant emotional roller coaster, falling in and out of love with each other at the wrong time...but after all of that, look at the end result... you’ve created a whole other person. This has to mean something... (starts to cry too) I just-I just don’t understand why you guys can’t work things out...

 

Ross then remembers a conversation he had with Joey when he found out Rachel was pregnant...

 

Cuts to scene from TOW Rachel’s Date...

Ross: It’s just I always thought when I had another kid it would be different. Now I-I love Ben, but every time I have to drop him off at Carol and Susan’s, it’s like—It breaks my heart a little. I mean I’ve always had this picture of me and my next wife in bed on Sunday and, my kid comes running in and leaps up onto the bed. And we all read the paper together. Y’know? Maybe fight over the science section.

Joey: Hey, can I ask you something? In this, in this picture of you and your wife, is your wife Rachel?

Ross: It used to be. Now she doesn’t really have a face.

Joey: But, the face Ross, the face isn’t Rachel.

Ross: No but ahh! How much easier would it be if it were?

Joey: I know, but I don’t think that’s what she wants.

Ross: No, it’s not what I want either. I mean I-I can’t force myself to fall in love with her again now.

 

He steps closer to Phoebe and they share a gentle hug. They turn to look back at Emma with tears in their eyes. Everything becomes silent once more. Meanwhile...

 

Scene cuts back to Rachel’s hospital room. Rachel’s sleeping soundly while Chandler and Monica decide on baby names. Joey’s watching television and looks very bored.

 

Chandler: (thoughtful) How about Yasmine for a girl?

 

Monica: (looks at Chandler incredulously) You’re already married! The fantasy is over buddy-boy!

 

Chandler: (looking disappointedly at Monica, expression changes to fear. Keeps on thinking) How about Jason for a boy?

 

Monica: I dated a Jason and hate him now. How about Maxi for a girl?

 

Chandler: As in “Maxi-Pad”? (then sarcastically says) I didn’t know we were deciding on ways of permanently humiliating our children as well?

 

Monica: Well, I didn’t think of it that way. In any case her girlfriends will remember her at least once a month! (laughs to herself. Chandler glares at her) Okay, fine...but hey, your name is Chandler and you turned out alright....(then quietly says) kind of...

 

Chandler: (trying not to look hurt) Well it’s your fault we’re even thinking about this! You’re the one who went and gave the name of our FUTURE child to Rachel’s PRESENT child! Now our baby has NO name! She’s a nameless baby!

 

Joey: (senses the tension and realizes Rachel’s sleeping) Hey guys, quiet down. (to Chandler) Actually, she’s a non-existent baby, and if you hadn’t noticed, Rachel just spent the last day giving birth to a real one. So unless any babies are gonna be poppin out of Monica within the next few hours, I’m sure you two have plenty of time to continue this at home.

 

Monica: (looking at Rachel) Yah you’re right. (begins to walk out of the room. Quickly turns to Chandler and says offensively) But don’t blame me because Rachel had a baby before we did. If YOU weren’t such a scaredy-cat, we would’ve HAD a baby Emma by now! (huffily walks out of the room)

 

Chandler: (follows after Monica) Excuse me?! You’d be afraid too if you were married to YOU!

 

Rachel: (stirring from her sleep. Groggily opens her eyes to see Joey watching tv) Hey Joe...what are you still doing here? You should go home and get some sleep.

 

Joey: (upset because he realizes Monica and Chandler’s fight woke Rachel up) Oh for cryin’ out loud those two should come with a “mute” button!

 

Rachel: (softly laughing) Hey it’s okay. Who needs sleep when you know you have a new baby?!

 

Joey: (agreeing with Rachel) Come to think of it, Pheebs and Ross haven’t come back from the nursery yet.

 

The mention of Ross brings thoughts to mind. She faintly hears Janice’s annoying voice in the back of her head, telling her that when Ross finds his “real” family, he’ll forget all about her and Emma. She tries her best to put it aside.

 

Rachel: Oh, really? How long have I been asleep? Do you know if they’re going home right after?

 

Joey: Yes; for about an hour; and I’m not sure.

 

Rachel: Oh...(her voice trails. She realizes she’s still amazingly tired) Joey seriously, you don’t have to stay with me. I’m just going to fall asleep again anyway.

 

Joey: (gets up and goes over to her bed) It’s okay, Rach. I’ll just wait for Phoebe and Ross to come back. I don’t want you to be alone. What if you need something?

 

Rachel: (takes Joey’s hand) Aww, Joey you’re so sweet...(realizes she’s hungry) actually, come to think of it, I’m craving something sweet. 

 

Joey: (in that oblivious Joey way) Rachel! You’re not even healed yet and you’re already hitting on me! I’m just way too smooth. Man, I should come with a Mute button!

 

Rachel: (laughing) No Joey, no! I meant FOOD wise. Can you get me some red jello or chocolate pudding from the cafeteria?

 

Joey: (feeling kind of foolish, but tries to hide it) I know what you meant! I was just...(pauses, trying to find an explanation. Gives up, smiles sheepishly, shrugs at Rachel in that “Joey” way and heads for the cafeteria)

 

Scene cuts to Phoebe and Ross walking back to Rachel’s room. Phoebe stops Ross in his tracks. She motions over to an empty lounge section. She sits down on one of the chairs. Ross does the same. (Note: Audience doesn’t know that Phoebe and Ross’s conversation continued after the scene cut, and I don’t want to give away the ending. Basically, Ross came to a conclusion and Phoebe knows what it is. Read on to find out what happens.)

 

Phoebe: So, what now?

 

Ross: I, I don’t know Pheebs. I mean, I know what I’m going to have to do, but I don’t know how. I guess we’ll just have to take one day at a time. But, but I don’t want to bring it up with Rach just yet and upset her. She’s been through enough today.

 

Phoebe: (understanding him) Are you sure this is what you want?

 

Ross: (thinks for awhile. Then finally answers) That’s the thing about me. I’m never really sure about what I want. The only thing I am sure about is that this has to be done.

 

Phoebe: Ross, your one of my best friends, and I’ll support you no matter what...you need to know that.

 

Ross: (looks at her lovingly) Thank you. (They just sit there for awhile.)

 

Scene cuts to Rachel’s hospital room. Rachel has just finished her chocolate pudding and Joey has just finished 2 sandwiches, a brownie, a big bag of potato chips, and is taking the last sips from a can of soda.

 

Joey: (burps) I tell ya, giving birth makes me hungry!

 

Rachel: (laughing) Thank you for the pudding, sweetie.

 

Joey: No problem. (looks at his watch. Notices it’s nearly midnight) Where are those two?

 

Rachel: (understands he’s referring to Phoebe and Ross) Hmm...They’ve been gone for nearly 2 hours. Maybe they really have gone home.

 

Joey: Nah, I don’t think they’d leave without checking up on you first. Phoebe’s probably having a hard time prying Ross away from the nursery window.

 

Rachel: Yeah...(suddenly she gets a revelation and she starts to panic) Ohmigosh Joey...

 

Joey: What?! What?! What?! You feeling sick? You need to go to the bathroom? Are you hurting or something?! I just bought this shirt so if you’re gonna hurl, warn me!

 

Rachel: No, no. It’s not that...(her voice trails off as she gets lost in thought)

 

Joey: (anxiously waits for an answer. Then gets up from his chair and suddenly yells) RACHEL WHAT IS IT?!

 

Rachel: (startled) Huh?! (then sadly says) Joey...I’m a real mom.

 

Joey: (doesn’t understand. Sits on the foot of her bed.) Huh?

 

Rachel: Yeah, I’m a REAL mom now. I’m not “pregnant Rachel” anymore. I’m not just ABOUT to have a baby! I HAVE a baby...I’m “mommy Rachel”. (she suddenly begins to cry)

 

Joey: (gets closer to embrace her in a hug. Rachel leans on his shoulders. He strokes her hair and says in a soothing voice) Hey now...it’s gonna be great! You’re going to be such a wonderful mother! Emma is a very lucky little girl...

 

Rachel: (still sobbing) But-but, I don’t know HOW to be a mom! I mean, the whole pregnant thing was enough and that was only for 9 months! This is for the rest of my life! I’ve never done this before! How will I know if I’m doing everything right?

 

Joey: Rach, no family is perfect. But if you base all of your decisions on the love you have for your daughter, everything’s going to work out alright. I promise.

 

Rachel: (calming down) You sure?

 

Joey: (looks at Rachel lovingly and kisses her on the forehead). Positive.

 

Rachel suddenly gets a flashback of a moment they once shared when Joey had confessed his feelings for her a few months before then....

 

Cuts to a scene from TOW Joey Tells Rachel...

Rachel: Oh Joey honey I don’t…I don’t want to lose…

Joey: Hey-hey-hey, hey! You can’t. Okay? Ever!

Rachel: I’m so sorry.

Joey: Oh no-no Rach, please, don’t be sorry. Okay?

 

They stay hugging for awhile longer. That sudden burst of emotion drains the tiny amount of energy she has left. Rachel begins to yawn. Still holding her, Joey gently bends down to rest Rachel’s head on the pillow. He lets her go.

 

Rachel: (closes her eyes and half consciously whispers) I hope Emma loves me as much as I love her.

 

Joey: (watches Rachel as she falls back asleep. Then says under his breath) It would be impossible not to love you...

 

Joey turns off the lights in the room, sits back down on the chair and goes back to watching TV but he turns off the sound. After a few minutes he realizes he has to pee and gets up to use the private restroom. He gently closes the door of the restroom before he turns on the lights so the reflection doesn’t wake Rachel up.)

 

Scene cuts to Chandler and Monica’s apartment. Monica and Chandler are lying in bed still contemplating baby names. Then, a thought enters Chandler’s mind.

 

Chandler: Hey Mon, we should name one of our sons Joey.

 

Monica: Huh? You MUST be joking. One Joey is plenty.

 

Chandler: No seriously. I was just thinking about how Joey’s still in love with Rachel and everything...and how obviously nothing’s going to happen between them. I guess I just feel bad...Joey’s been with so many women...and the one time he falls in love, it had to be with one of his best friends who doesn’t feel the same because she only loves him as a best friend, and she used to love his other best friend, and she’s also having his best friend’s baby, and all of this is while his other best friends are already married, to each other, and the last best friend is...well, just a whole different story.

 

Monica: (trying to let all of that sink in but still confused) And naming one of our sons “Joey” is going to solve all of his problems?

 

Chandler: Of course not...I’m just saying...Joey isn’t the type to fall in love easily. Who knows when he’s going to fall in love again, or even if he ever will? I just, I think it would mean a lot to him if we named one of our sons after him...you know, to continue his name in the family, in case he doesn’t get to start one of his own...

 

Monica: (softening up and understanding now) Okay, I know what you mean. And actually I think it’s really sweet. (kisses Chandler. Then says warningly) but if our son’s first words are “How You Doin”, I’m kickin’ your ass!

 

Scene cuts to Phoebe and Ross in the lounge area.

 

Ross: Alright, I’m going to see if she’s alright and then I’m going to head home. You gonna come see her?

 

Phoebe: Umm...no, it’s okay. My 6th sense tells me she’s fine. I’m just going to head home. But you go.

 

Ross: Okay. (Hugs Phoebe) Thanks again for everything tonight Pheebs.

 

Phoebe: (in her famous Phoebe way) Yeah, I know.

 

Ross and Phoebe go in different directions. As Ross comes to Rachel’s room, he notices the lights are off. The television is on, but it’s muted. He doesn’t know Joey is in the bathroom. He pulls a chair close to Rachel’s bed and sits down. He just sits there, watching her, just as he was watching Emma, slowly debating on whether or not he was making the right decision and wondering if he should tell her now.

 

Ross: (whispering) Rach...Rachel? (realizes she’s out cold) Actually, it’s kind of good you can’t hear me...There’s something I want, no NEED, to tell you, but I don’t think I have the guts...

 

At the very moment Ross sits down, Joey is about to come out of the bathroom. He turns off the light before he quietly turns the doorknob. Since it is facing the opposite direction Ross is facing, Ross can’t see Joey about to come out. However, Joey sees Ross’s figure sitting in the chair and is about to say his name until he hears what Ross says. Confused, intrigued, and very guiltily, he slowly leans back inside the restroom and leaves the door open a little to hear what’s going on.

 

Ross: See Rach... Phoebe said something to me tonight that affected me more than anything I’ve ever felt for you...actually it was more of a mental realization than a feeling. (pauses) I just...I don’t think I can do this anymore. It’s too hard. Now, there’s an entirely new life involved, and augh, this is so hard to say... I feel like, like I shouldn’t be here or something...

 

Joey in disbelief about what he had just heard suddenly walks out of the bathroom. Ross turns around and looks at him surprised.

 

Joey: (angrily) Did I just hear right?! Are you going to leave her?! You made it such a big deal when you couldn’t be there for her when she was pregnant...you convinced her to move in with you, you made her all these promises...and now, NOW that there’s an actual baby, you don’t think you can HANDLE it anymore? Ross, she TRUSTS you, man! Just a little while ago she was crying her eyes out because this entire “Mother” ordeal has gotten her completely freaked! You’re not just leaving Rachel, dude. You’re leaving your daughter too!

 

Ross: (defensive and angry) Don’t you think I know that?! (then realizes) Joey, no offense, but this really doesn’t concern you. You have NO idea what it’s been like between Rachel and me. You may have observed a lot, but I was the one in the actual relationship. You shouldn’t be giving off your opinion about things you don’t understand.

 

Joey: Okay, so you listen to Phoebe, but you don’t listen to me? Ross, exactly how does my opinion differ from Phoebe’s? Is it because she’s WILLING to let you do this?!

 

Ross: (exasperated, not at all convinced) Joey, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Seriously. And I know you still have feelings for Rachel and you’re just trying to be protective.

 

Joey: No you’re wrong. I’m not trying to be protective of her feelings. I’m trying to protect you because I know how much you’re going to regret this. You of all people know what it’s like to love her and lose her. She doesn’t forgive easily. If you walk out on her and your daughter now, you’re going to lose her for good, and not just as someone you love, or even as the mother of your child, but as your best friend. She told you from the very beginning that you didn’t have to be involved, and you were the one who fought so strongly for her dependence. And I’m sorry if my feelings for Rachel lessen the value of my opinion, but I TOO am your best friend...or was anyway.

 

With all that said, Joey storms out of the room. Ross stares after him still shocked about the conversation that had just happened. When he turns around to face Rachel’s bed, he sees that she has woken up, and is crying. Ross sighs heavily and slumps back in the chair with his face in his hands...

 

Scene cuts to Joey outside the hospital, dialing a number on a nearby payphone.

 

Phoebe: (barely entering her apartment and rushes to the phone) Hello?

 

Joey: Pheebs! You convinced Ross into leaving Rachel?

 

Phoebe: (caught off guard) Joey?? Huh? What are you talking about?

 

Joey: Ross just told Rachel, while she was asleep might I add, that he is leaving.

 

Phoebe: Leaving?? What? I never told him to do that! I just...we were...he said...(doesn’t know what to say. Then wonders something) Wait, where are you?

 

Joey: I’m outside the hospital blowing off some steam.

 

Phoebe: Is Ross in the room with Rachel right now?

 

Joey: I don’t know if he still is, but I left him there.

 

Phoebe: Joey did he really say he was going to leave her and Emma?! That just doesn’t make sense...

 

Joey: Yeah!! (then thinks for a moment and tries to replay the conversation in his head so he can repeat it to Phoebe) He said how it was too hard for him, how there’s another life involved now, how he feels like he shouldn’t be there...

 

Phoebe: Joey are you sure when he said he wasn’t sure if he should be there he was referring to “being in her life” and not “being in the room”?!

 

Joey: Well, he didn’t deny it when I accused him!

 

Phoebe: What did he tell you??

 

Joey: He got all defensive and said it was none of my business, and that I didn’t know what I was talking about because I wasn’t him and stuff.

 

Phoebe: Joey he’s not going to leave her!!!

 

Joey: WHAT?! But-but he just said...

 

Phoebe: (cutting him off) No! You are such an ass Tribbiani!

 

Scene cuts to Monica and Chandler’s bedroom again. Chandler and Monica are hugging and giggling. They’ve been teasing each other about their choices of baby names.

 

Monica: Hey honey, I just realized something.

 

Chandler: What’s that?

 

Monica: We’re going through all of this trouble trying to find perfect names for our children. And we’re not even sure if I’m pregnant yet. I mean, you can’t bake the bread without putting it in the oven first!

 

Chandler: (finally understanding) Oohh....well, how long until we find out?

 

Monica: (calculating in her head) I think we’ve got at least 2 weeks until I can take a pregnancy test.

 

Chandler: Well then, that means we’ve got at least 2 weeks to go baby-making crazy! We shouldn’t waste any time! Let’s “study” for the test!

 

Monica: (in her famous Monica way) Okay! (They start getting frisky.)

 

Scene cuts back into Rachel’s hospital room. She’s lying on her back with her face turned away from Ross. She composes herself and wipes away the remaining tears.

 

Rachel: (very coldly but clearly) It’s way past visiting hours. You should leave. Now.

 

Ross: (not taking his hands away from his face and not attempting to make Rachel face him) Rachel please don’t be upset. It’s not how it seems. You don’t understand...

 

Rachel: (turns to face him. emotionless) You know what? Surprisingly, I really don’t care at the moment. I don’t care if what I heard was right or wrong. I don’t even care that you’re upset. I am too tired to be thinking about anything else except for my lack of sleep. (exhales heavily)The past year all I had been thinking about was being 30 without being married, and being without children, and even being without a steady boyfriend. To top that, when I found out I was going to have a baby, it wasn’t at all how I imagined it would be. Then the baby was LATE. And just when I thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse, I find out the baby was facing the wrong direction in my uterus. And finally, to ice this beautiful “reality” cake, I have spent the ENTIRE day in labor...Now THIS...(pauses to think for a moment) But the funny thing is, none of this seems to faze me anymore. My mind and my body are completely numb. All I care about is getting a LITTLE rest so I can be well enough to see my daughter in the morning and start my life as being a good mother. (then threateningly says) So leave, before I call in a nurse and she makes you.

 

Ross doesn’t even attempt to argue or to reason with Rachel. He sadly gets up and leaves the room. Rachel knows she lied to him about not caring, but she doesn’t feel bad. Even though sleep is the furthest thing from her mind, she didn’t want to talk to Ross. Her thoughts start to drift and we can see specific flashbacks of Ross and Rachel’s history...

 

Cuts to scene from TO In Massapequa...

Rachel: That proposal, at the planetarium…

Ross: I know, I know it was stupid.

Rachel: Are you kidding?! With the, with the lilies, and-and the song, and the stars! It was…really wonderful! Did you just make that up?

Ross: No, actually I thought about it when, when we were going out. It’s how I imagined I uh, I would ask you to marry me.

 

Cuts to scene from TOW Old Yeller Dies...

RACHEL: Ok, I'm sorry, I'm just not very good with babies. I mean I haven't been around them, I mean, you know, since I was one.
Ross: It's alright, it's no big deal.
Rachel: Really?
Ross: Yeah, definitely, I'm sure you'll feel totally different when it's our baby.

 

Cuts to scene from TO The Morning After...

Ross: Look, look, there’s got to be a way we can work past this. Okay, (takes a hold of one of her arms.) I can’t imagine, I can’t imagine my life without you. (Both of them are starting to cry.) Without, without these arms, and your face, and this heart. Your good heart Rach, (drops to his knees and hugs her around her waist) and, and....
Rachel: (crying) No. I can’t, you’re a totally different person to me now. I used to think of you as somebody that would never, ever hurt me, ever. God, and now I just can’t stop picturing you with her, I can’t, (Ross stands up and backs away) it doesn’t matter what you say, or what you do, Ross. It’s just changed, everything. Forever.

 

Cuts to scene from TOW Ross finds out...

Ross: And now, now you’re over me?

Rachel: Are you over me?

 

Joey comes back to Rachel’s room to find her very much awake, sitting upright with her arms crossed, and staring blankly ahead. Without a word, he sits down. Phoebe had just explained to him on the phone what Ross had told her, so now Joey understands. No matter how hard it is for him to accept it, he realizes that the situation is out of his hands, and he too needs to support Ross. He knows not to mention anything to Rachel, so he just sits there patiently, hoping everything will work out for the best. Rachel finally breaks the silence.

 

Rachel: (still staring ahead. She speaks to Joey in a daze.) Do you know what it’s like to be completely powerless over someone, and not even realize it? (Joey just listens.) I mean, is love really supposed to be this hard? How many times do you need to go over the same problems before everything gets better? It’s like, no matter what, I can’t NOT be affected by him. I keep getting hurt, and we’re not even together...Augh! I wish he wasn’t Emma’s father!

 

Joey: (finally speaking) Rach-you don’t mean that. I don’t know what he’s told you but-.

 

Rachel: (cutting him off) he didn’t need to tell me anything. I heard what you said to him and I know he’s leaving Emma.

 

Joey: (surprised) You heard everything?

 

Rachel: I heard enough to be upset.

 

Joey: Look Rachel, I was wrong. My emotions just got the better of me and I got caught up in the moment. (wonders if he should admit his feelings once more. Does it anyway) You know...the whole “powerless” thing...You, you need to talk to Ross. I know the situation doesn’t look good, but everything will turn out for the best, you’ll see.

 

Rachel: (sadly looks over at Joey. They share a long, intense gaze. She’s trying to read the expression on his face. She quietly says) Joey, what the hell is going on? What is it that you know and I don’t?

 

Joey: (trying to play it off like he doesn’t know anything) Rachel, nothing. I’m just saying...it’s you and Ross for God’s sake. There has to be a reason WHY you two affect each other so much...

 

Rachel: Joey I’m just so tired of hurting...I’m so tired of never being sure about anything...I’m so tired of hoping for something, and having it not happen...I’m just...tired. When will it be enough?

 

Joey sighs. Rachel slowly lies back down, and faces away from Joey. By now it’s nearly 2am. Without turning her head, she speaks for the last time that night.

 

Rachel: (barely audible) Joey, I know this might sound really selfish, but please don’t leave me in this room alone. With all that’s happened tonight, having your presence here eases me.

 

Joey: Rach, you know I’d never leave you...

 

Rachel softly cries herself back to sleep.

 

Scene fades here...

 

To be continued with TO Who’s Powerless Pt. 2